Good news! Here is a perfect snack made with healthy ingredients, dark chocolate (cocoa) and no added sugar. This basic recipe for no-bake energy balls can still your sweet cravings in no-time. This recipe is packed with walnuts and the sweetness and stickiness comes from the dates. I love adding walnuts to my diet as walnuts are really healthy, with antioxidants and plant based omega-3s.
Today I got up really early (trying to join the 5am club), went for a run, stretched, and showered and all that. I made myself a cup of matcha and enjoyed it with two of these vegan energy balls – a sweet treat that gives you a small energy boost, AND is made with whole foods. Now, tell me a better way to start the day! I say YUM! If you crave caffeine in the morning these power balls also go perfectly with a cup of coffee.
Try making these plant based energy balls the next time you are craving something sweet. If you make them I would love to hear from you. Please write a comment to let me know what you think. If you snap a picture, tag me on instagram @by.linaelisabeth – I look forward to seeing how they turn out!
Healthy no-bake Energy Balls
- 10 dates deseeded
- 50 g walnuts
- 1 tsp cocoa powder (baking cocoa)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 30 g shredded coconut plus a bit extra if you wish to coat your energy balls in shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp water
- a pinch of sea salt
- Add the dates and all the dry ingredients to your nutriblender / food processor and pulse for about a minute until the ingredients are well cut and mixed.
- Then pour the mix from your nutriblender / food processor over in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the water and walnut oil and mix well with a spoon or similar. You should feel the mixture sticking together. See the video below if needed.
- Take about a tablespoon of dough and shape it into a ball form using your hands. For me, this recipe makes 12 energy balls, but if you like your treats smaller or bigger then make them the perfect size for you.
- If you love coconut you can roll the done energy balls in shredded coconut.
- You can eat the energy balls straight away, or place the energy balls on a plate or a trey and refrigerate them for 2+ hours. I prefer them after they have been i the fridge for a couple of hours as they harden a bit, but they are by all means also delicious to enjoy straight away.