Your favorite cheese (vegan), red grapes, and crispy crackers… YUM! These crunchy crackers are one of my best recipes yet. They are super simple to make and perfect for any occasion.
Cozy up on the sofa with a glass of wine, a cheese plate and some salty flavorful crackers to watch your favorite movie. Invite a few friends over for a nice evening and serve these with a varied cheese plate. Or simply enjoy a few plain crackers for snack time when you`re feeling a bit hungry.
The Perfect Pairing of Crackers, Cheese and Fresh Fruit
A great way to serve these crackers is to pair them with (vegan) cheese and fresh fruit like red grapes or mandarins. It is the perfect mix of crunchy, soft and juicy textures. I have always had a soft spot for this mini meal. Also, if you drink, it tastes even better with both red or white wines. My favorite though are full-bodied red wines.
If you make these for a large group it is a good idea to double or triple the recipe. With a few glasses of wine and good conversations, it is good to be on the safe side.
Be creative when plating up your cheese board and use different types of cheese. The crackers go well with all types; creamy cheeses, mild cheeses and strong cheeses. As they have quite a lot of red bell pepper spice in them they are a good match for different types of flavors.
Finding and Baking the Best (Vegan) Alternatives
A few weeks ago I was at the vegan event / trade show Veggie World Munich. It was a lot of fun trying the different products the exhibitors were offering. One of my favorites was the vegan cheese stand from Petit Veganne. We bought quite a few varieties, and when we run out I will definitely order more. I loved their cheese Petite Lorrain (in the photos). This is the best cheese alternative I have found till now. If you have any other favorites I woul love to get inspiration in a comment!
The annual family Christmas brunch is coming up. My mom is a master in the kitchen and serves up a number of delicious dishes. This year, I am bringing some plant based alternatives for the cheese platter. I am sure my family will love it. It is always fun to introduce vegan alternatives that (I believe) everyone will enjoy.
Also, in our local grocery store I can not seem to find many different types of crackers. I don`t know, but maybe wine and cheese just isn`t the standard Bavarian snack 🙂 So, I figured I had to bake some myself. I tested using different flavors, and my favorite combination resulted in this recipe.
I hope you will try baking these crackers the next time you are in the mood for a crunchy snack. They may even be your new favorite crackers. If you bake them I would love to hear from you, please give a star rating or write a comment to let me know what you think.
If you snap a picture, tag me on instagram @by.linaelisabeth – I look forward to seeing how they turn out!
Best Crackers for (vegan) Cheese and Wine
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tbsp herbes de Provance
- 50 g vegan butter
- 100 ml plant based milk barista edition
- sea salt flakes for topping optional
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, sweet paprika powder and herbes de Provence in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter to the bowl and mix the butter and they dry ingredients using your hands. Knead well with your hands to make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
- Add the plant based milk to the rest of the ingredients and mix with your hands. Knead the dough for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celcius (392 fahrenheit).
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. work from the center of the dough when rolling it out. Roll until the dough is thin, about 2 milimeters. You can use a shaped form (e.g. round) to stick out shapes of the dough, or you can simply make squared crackers by cutting these out with a knife or better yet a pizza knife.
- Sprinke some sea salt flakes over your crackers. To get the salt to stick gently roll over the crackers with your rolling pin. If you prefer plain unsalted crackers, simply skip this step.
- Place your crackers on a baking trey covered with parchment paper. Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Let your baked crackers cool down on a cooling rack in room temperature. For the best result leave your crackers on the cooling rack over night - this lets them dry out and get extra crunchy.