Why buy them at the grocery store when you can make your own vegan tortillas with just a few simple ingredients?! This easy recipe gives you 12 delicious tortillas that you can enjoy with your favorite fillings, like fresh vegetables, beans and sauces. It is such a great way to throw together a healthy and satisfying meal.
Taco is one of my absolute favorite meals. I could have tacos for breakfast, luch and dinner (and sometimes I do 🙂 ) This vegan tortilla recipe is perfect for making taco meals, filling tortilla wraps with fresh veggies like onions, corn, salad, tomatoes and sour cream, salsa and black beans.
I wanted to make Healthy Tortillas
Making this recipe was a trial and error process. As it is with most recipes. First I tried making them using vegan butter and they were also delicious. Then I reminded myself of why I wanted to make my own tortillas in the first place. Following a plant-based diet I want to make “clean” homemade food (for the most part).
There are many vegan options available, but when getting store-bought tortillas I was always disapointed by the contents as they have ingredients that I do not recognize. And when reading the ingredients list on the vegan butter I had bought I could not say that I recognized all the ingredients either. I wanted to make tortillas using natural and basic ingredients. So I decided to use pure organic coconut oil instead. And these tortillas are really good, if not even better than the ones with butter.
I hope you make your own homemade tortillas the next time you are in the mood for tacos or other other meals with tortilla wraps. If you try this recipe I would love to hear from you, please give a star rating or write a comment to let me know what you think.
If you snap a picture, tag me on instagram @by.linaelisabeth – I look forward to seeing how your plant based tortillas turn out!
Easy Plant Based Tortilla Recipe
- 120 g flax seeds (crushed - or crush them yourself)
- 300 g all-purpose flour
- 80 g coconut oil melted
- 200 ml water
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Melt the coconut oil in a small pot on medium heat
- If you only have whole flax seeds you need to crush them. To make crushed flax seeds yourself, add them to your food processor and pulse for 10-30 seconds
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl - the crushed flax seeds, all-purpose flour and sea salt
- Add the melted coconut oil and water to the dry ingredients and mix well
- Place the mixed dough on your baking surface and knead your tortilla dough for 10-15 minutes until the dough is smooth and non-sticky
- Divide the dough into twelve equal pieces and shape each piece into a small ball
- Flour your baking surface - be generous with the flour. And use a rolling pin to shape each dough ball into a thin tortilla. Separate the tortillas with parchment paper. (See the recipe video for a visual explanation).You can also use a tortilla press if you have one, but to get the tortillas as thin as I want I prefer using a rolling pin
- Bake your tortillas in a non-stick pan right away, or place the prepped tortillas (separated by baking sheets) in a plastic bag in your fridge and bake later the same day. If you go for the second option, take the bag with the tortillas out of the fridge about 20 minutes before baking them to allow them to get to room temperature
- Pre-heat your non-stick pan to medium-high heat and bake each tortilla in the hot pan for about 20-30 seconds on each side. The first tortilla may take a little bit longer
- Stack the cooked tortillas on top of each other on a plate to keep them warm and serve right away