Warmer weather is coming – and this is a good and simple recipe to enjoy on those hot summer days, when the appetite for warm meals is low. This delicious vegan German potato salad is super easy to make and a perfect side dish for the lunch or dinner table.
For this traditional German potato salad use waxed potatoes to ensure that they don`t fall apart while boiling. This is because of their excess moisture / lower starch content. These are also relatively thin-skinned potatoes, so they are easy to peel once cooked.
When visiting the Beergartens in Bavaria in southern Germany there are only a handful of meals for me to choose from as they serve a lot of meat and grilled fish. Luckily I have come to understand that Germans love potato salad. And so this vegan potato salad is my go-to-dish when hanging out in the Beergarten with friends. Enjoying it with some bread and a Radler (mix of beer and limo) is an absolute treat.
For this recipe the cooking process is very straight forward and easy. I have a feeling that once you try this, you will be making this dish for a long time. My German boyfriend is the mastermind behind this great recipe – so thank you Stefan!
Try this easy potato salad recipe the next time you are in the mood for something filling on a hot summer day. If you make it I would love to hear from you, please write a comment to let me know what you think. If you snap a picture, show me your end result by tagging me on instagram @by.linaelisabeth – I look forward to seeing how your homemade potato salad turns out!
Easy Bavarian Potato Salad
- 1500 g potatoes waxy potatoes
- 150 g red onion about 1 ½ red onions
- 2 tsp sugar
- 6 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 pinches ground nutmeg
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth powder
- 300 ml water
- Boil the potatoes in salted water. Boil for about 35 minutes until you can cut a knife into the potatoes and they easily slip off the knife.
- While the potatoes as boiling, finely chop the red onion.
- Let the potatoes cool down.
- Peel the cooked potatoes and cut them into slices, about 0.5 cm thick. Add the sliced potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Heat up 300 ml of water mixed with the vegetable broth powdre in a medium pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl with the potato slices, and pour the vegetable broth into the bowl and mix well, but carefully.
- Let the large bowl with the potato salad sit on the counter for 15 minutes.
- Mix the potato salad lightly once more.
- Garnish the potato salad with fresh herbs like fresh parsley or fresh dill to add a pop of color.